Sunday, April 04, 2010

Winding Down

After spending most of the long weekend inside my house, I was feeling so stir crazy that I just had to get outside and walk a little. It was dusk, and the weather was just perfect: warm yet breezy. It just absolutely bowled me over that I have confined myself to a tiny little 2 mile strip of my island and just gone back and forth and back and forth for the last 2 months. No wonder I'm feeling restless!

It was great to get out on Easter evening and just feel alive and a part of the island community. It's amazing the little wonderful things that I miss out on because I'm too busy hibernating in my house. Tonight some of these wonderful little things were: seeing my little friend Blueberry (whom I didn't recognize until he called me "blueberry...I was the one wearing a blue shirt afterall!), watching kids with home-made noisemakers made from palm fronds, watching the sun set from a nice little beach that I never took much notice of before, and dozens of friendly "hello's", "Yokwe's" and "Goodnight's" from people who I've never met before but somehow know me.

I can't believe that my time here is coming to an end. I have become so isolated and solitary for the past months, that I haven't even posted the blog entries from South East Asia last summer (I promise I'll do it! They are all written, it just takes forever to upload pictures here). The reality that I'm leaving in 2 months has not yet set in. Neither do I have any idea where I'm going after July. But whatever new adventures come my way, I'm looking forward to them. And in the meantime, I am going to try to get out and walk more often. I'll let you know how that goes.

P.S. The photos are from the Good Friday "Stations of the Cross" shrines at Assumption Catholic Church, next to my house. Aren't they so beautiful?

No comments: